Monday, January 27, 2014

Soups On!




First off, please forgive me I am once again a day late in gettng my post online. Yesterday was a busy Sunday--a day that started out with walking to mass, coming home to dirty bathrooms and lots of laundry and cooking dinner(darn, 3 new recipes last night and no photos....) Anyhow the recipe I would like to share with you today is a recipe from for french onion soup.


This recipe comes from one of Rachel Rays Cookbooks. My friend Kirstina gave it to me years ago. This was a simple, quick recipe and very good. (well at least I am pretty sure...I sort of had a pepper accident, so my husband had more a pepper soup than onion soup!)





See my Valentines DAy Potholder? Got that from my sister Heidi




Ingredients.:
  • 6 medium onions
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 cups beef stock (32 ounces)
  • 1 baguette, ends trimmed, sliced into 16 rounds about 1-inch thick
  • 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, shredded ( I just used whatever cheese that I had in the fridge)
  • 4 tablespoons good quality dry sherry 

Heat a heavy soup pot over medium heat while thinly slicing the onions. Add the butter to the pot and melt. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper and gently caramelize, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes. If the onions begin to brown too quickly at the edges before they caramelize, turn the heat down a bit. Deglaze the pan with the sherry, then let reduce for 1 minute while stirring. Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Meanwhile, place an oven rack in middle of the oven and heat the oven to 250˚F.

Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and top with a piece of bread and some cheese. Place in the oven, so that the cheese can melt.


Enjoy.


Come and share a recipe that you have tried out latey!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...